MHG9539 - St. Peter's Chapel, Cille Pheader
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NC92SE 17 989 204.
A chapel dedicated to St Peter is supposed to have stood on the banks of the Craggan Burn at Cille-Pheader.
J Mackay 1894; H Morrison 1883; D Beaton 1909; J A Smith 1876
Local enquiries failed to locate the site of this chapel; but at the junction of the Allt Cille Pheadair and the Craggan Burn (NC 98972046), between the streams, is a disturbed area too obscure for any conclusions to be drawn.
Visited by OS (W D J) 20 May 1960
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Smith, J A. 1876. 'Notes of small ornamental stone balls found in different parts of Scotland, etc; with remarks on their supposed age and use', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 11 1874-6, p.29-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 29-62. 42-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, J. 1894. 'Sutherland place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 18 1891-2, p.183-208, 325-40. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 183-208, 325-40. 339.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Morrison, H. 1883. Tourist's guide to Sutherland and Caithness. 38.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9889 2040 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7157 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.