MHG956 - Standing Stones, Shurrery Kirk
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Undated)
Standing Stone (NR)
OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
This broad, pointed angular slab is 3ft 6ins high, 4ft broad at the centre and 2ft 8ins broad at the base, and 1ft 4ins thick; it faces NE-SW. There is another pointed stone set firmly on end in the peat, 147ft to NE; it protrudes 2ft from the ground.
RCAHMS 1911; Name Book 1873.
These two stones are as described above. The northern stone is of no archaeological importance.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (eGC) 10 4 1961, (RD) 17 11 1964.
The standing stone at ND 0488 5843 is as described above. The second stone, at ND 0491 5847, although not impressive, being 0.45m by 0.35m and 0.5m high, does appear to have been set up and cannot be completely dismissed. No other stones occur in the immediate vicinity, which is blanketed by peat.
Revised at 1:2500 Visited by OS (J B) 20 July 1981.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 9, 138; illust. (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3399.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 108, No. 398 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 108, No. 398.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 138; illust..
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0488 5843 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:478 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM478 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7735 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.