MHG9565 - Dail Na Drochaide
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NC75NW 5 7200 5747.
(A: NC 7201 5748 and B: NC 7199 5746) Enclosures (NR)
OS 6" map, (1964)
In undulating moorland are two enclosures (a and b), probably hut circles (A and B), both overgrown with turf and bracken. Hut 'A' measures 12m NW-SE by 11m transversely within a wall 0.2m high and spread to 3m broad. The entrance of simple form is in the south east arc. 'B', set into a knoll is of more massive construction measuring 12.5m NW-SE by 11m transversely within a mutilated wall about 2.1m wide and at best 1m high. Several large facing slabs on edge (of typical hut circle construction) are exposed. The entrance of simple form is in the south east arc. This hut is similar in its position and its unusual strength to the example on the west side of Strathnaver (see NC75NW 1).
The only evidence of contemporary cultivation in the immediate vicinity of the huts are three or four stone clearance heaps. Run-rig lies close by to the south east, and there are stone rows (see NC75NW 34) some 40m to the east.
Revised at 1:10,000.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (J L D) 2 May 1960 and (N K B) 15 August 1978.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Dail Na Drochaide. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Dail Na Drochaide, (a). Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 72, No. 219.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7200 5747 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6254 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.