MHG957 - Chambered Round Cairn, Sithean Dubh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED ROUND CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Cairn (NR) Human Remains found (NAT)
OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
This round Orkney-Cromarty type cairn is 90-100ft diameter and was about 10ft high before it was severely robbed in or shortly before 1910. A short length of face of an encircling wall of horizontally-laid slabs is exposed on W side, 12ft within present cairn edge. Stones protruding through the debris seem to indicate the presence of two Camster-type chambers (A S Henshall 1963).
In or about 1831 two gigantic human skeketons were removed from this cairn and sent to some Antiquarian Soc in London by late Capt MacDonald of Sandside, Reay (Name Book 1873).
Name Book 1873; RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
The much mutilated remains of a round cairn as described above 30m in diameter by 1.7m high. Several large, flat stones set on edge and protruding from cairn in SE indicate the presence of a chamber and stalls.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 17 August 1964.
(ND 0497 5834) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
As described and planned by the previous authorities.
Visited by OS (J B) 21 July 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 134-5, no. 48; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 99, No. 363.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 138.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 70-1, 73, 287, CAT 48; plan fig. 48.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0496 5834 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM479 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7736 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.