MHG9591 - Waiting Room, Dunrobin Castle Railway Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- WAITING ROOM (Built, 20th Century - 1902 AD to 1902 AD)
NC80SW 27 8496 0127
For Dunrobin Castle (NC 8505 0082), see NC80SE 1.00.
Duke of Sutherland's Railway Station waiting room listed.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
1870, reconstructed 1902. Private station on the Duke of Sutherland's Railway.
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, p. 75-76) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
(Location cited as NC 850 013). Dunrobin Station, built 1902 for the Duke of Sutherland, architect L Bisset. A neat mock-timber-framed building with a three-gabled awning.
J R Hume 1977.
Dunrobin Castle Railway Station, designed by L Bisset in 1902 as the Duke of Sutherland's private halt.
J Gifford 1992.
This intermediate station on the Inverness-Wick and Thurso ('Far North') line of the (former) Highland Rly. was opened in 1870 as the private station of the Duke of Sutherland and closed as such in 1871. It closed to regular passenger traffic on 29 January 1965 reopening during 1985.
R V J Butt 1995.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bonavia, M R. 1987. Historic railway sites in Britain. 192-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 86.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 577.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 317.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 17. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 334.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Tatlow, P. 1985. Highland railway miscellany: a pictorial record of the company's activities in the public eye and behind the scenes. pl. 110.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Vallance, H A. 1985. The Highland railway. 4th, extd. 36.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Dunrobin Halt. Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8496 0127 (14m by 7m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7054 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6579 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.