MHG9650 - Smigel Mill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GRAIN MILL (Built, 19th Century - 1850 AD to 1850 AD (circa))
NC85NE 13 8953 5769.
(Location cited NC 896 577). Smigel Mill, built c1850. An attractive rectangular rubble 2-storey building with small pyramidal-roofed kiln vent.There is a 3-ring, 8-spoke overshot wood and iron wheel, 4ft wide x 12ft 2ins diam (1.22 by 3.71m) with external gear ring on inner face, driving 6-spoke pinion. Built as co-operative venture.
J R Hume 1977. <1>
Tongue/Farr Local Plan, Oct 1995: P6/1.24.
J Aitken : 11/06/01.
De-scheduled 5/11/2003 - HAW
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 209, 219-220) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974 <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council. Achiemore, Undershot Mill. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 316.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8953 5768 (11m by 17m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7141 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6801 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.