MHG9703 - Strathy Former Church of Scotland
A former Church of Scotland built c.1826 to a design by Thomas Telford. Visitors to the area are reminded that this is now a private dwelling and the owner's privacy must be respected.
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Built, 19th Century - 1826 AD to 1826 AD)
NC86NW 9 8438 6526
For Strathy manse (NC 8442 6527), see NC86NW 31.
S Hackett and N Livingston 1984. <1>
Telford parliamentary church, built 1826.
G Hay 1957a. <2>
Mr George Hay states that he has recorded this to some extent.
Now occupied as private dwelling.
Now converted to a private dwelling.
SDD 1960 <3>
A T-plan Parliamentary Church by Thomas Telford, now converted to a private dwelling. The building represents a slight deviation from the normal Telford plan with a rear entrance and small flanking north elevation bay windows in place of the usual paired doors. A full description is availble in Historic Scotland's listed building information (see hyperlink). <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Hackett and Livingston, S and N. 1984. Scottish Parliamentary churches and their manses. SHG23465. 302-36. 334.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Hay, G. 1957. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 122, 187, 276.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: SDD. 1960-. List of Buildings of Architectural or Historical Interest, (Lists held in Architectural Department of RCAHMS). no. 14.
- <4> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB 7143.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8350 6520 (16m by 13m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7143 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.