MHG9745 - Limekiln, Baligill Burn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
NC86NE 19 8553 6599 and 8556 6601
See also NC86NE 20.
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 187-188) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
A pair of limekilns last used within the memory of an octogenarian resident of Baligill. Both are in an excellent state of preservation.
Visited by OS (NKB), 10 August 1977.
(Location cited as NC 856 661). Baligill Limekilns, probably built c. 1820 and c. 1870. The earlier of the two kilns is a circular two-draw structure with two curved buttresses, apparently later additions. The more recent kiln is of the rectangular three-draw type. Both were stone-lined and were peat-fired.
J R Hume 1977.
The more southerly kiln is 5m square and 8m high; it has three base openings and a cylindrical central flue, and to the S there is an additional structure. The other is subcircular on plan, measuring about 5m in diameter with four buttresses and three base openings.
R J Mercer 1981.
Not to be confused with limekilns at site no 20 (8516 6567; 8516 6562 and 8520 6560).
- --- SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 315.
- --- SHG24430 Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 17. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 335, 348.
- --- SHG2511 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 129, nos. 231-2; map 5.
- --- SHG364 Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- --- SHG7631 Image/Photograph(s): Limekilns, Badigill. Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8553 6598 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4290 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6850 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.