MHG9762 - Badiepullacher
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NC91NE 1 9535 1878.
(A and B centred at NC 9530 1883: and NC 9530 1877); C - NC 9539 1873: Enclosures (NR)
OS 6"map, (1964)
To the north of the road, some 1/4 mile west of the bridge over the Allt Breac, on the moor on the top of the bank are mounds and several hut circles.
There are two conjoined circular enclosures. An outer circle contains in the interior the remains of a small circular enclosure. The ends of the banks of both enclosures abut, on the east, another circular enclosure, which flanks the north side of the larger enclosure's entrance from which, on its SE, a horn projects across the opening.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
Three circular stone-walled hut circles (A-C), A and B forming a composite structure, and possible remains of another at NC 9530 1877 were found during fieldwork. In the interior of 'A', there are traces of a circular enclosure about 8.7m diameter formed by a slight earth and stone bank 2.2m wide and 0.2m high. Only the north segment of this bank remains.
Visited by OS (W D J) 12 May 1960.
The three huts A-C are generally as described and illustrated by the previous OS field investigator. The two conjoined huts comprise an earlier hut,A, partially overlaid by hut B (jointly centred at NC 9527 1883). They measure respectively 12.0m and 8.5m in internal diameter within walls surviving to a height of 0.6m. These walls are tumbled and overgrown with peat and spread to a width of 2.0m except in the north arc of hut A where the wall spread is 4.0m, and on the south side of each entrance, where there is an outward prolongation of the wall. Within hut A are the remains of the smaller circular structure as described by previous OS fild investigator. Hut C (NC 9539 1873) is 12.0m in diameter within a peat-overgrown wall 0.5m high which is spread to a width of 1.5m, broadening to 4.0m at the entrance which appears to be splayed.
The "possible hut circle" (NC 9529 1878) some 60.0m south of hut A is visible as a curving band of rubble within an area of narrow rig. This may be a hut largely destroyed by the later cultivation, but it cannot be identified as such with certainty.
Cultivation associated with the huts is limited to scattered clearance heaps, but the pattern is destroyed by the encroachment of run-rig. Re-surveyed at 1/10,560.
Visited by OS (J M) 21 April 1976.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 118, No. 336 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9534 1878 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6981 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.