MHG9764 - Brora Harbour
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HARBOUR (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NC90SW 8 908 039
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 38-39, 92, 98-101, 237) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004 <1>
(Location cited as NC 909 039). Brora Harbour, built c. 1814 for the Sutherland Estate, engineer William Hughes. A quay and pier forming a rectangular basin. Built for coal exporting.
J R Hume 1977 <2>
Working harbour used for small fishing vessels. S & W side consists of a dressed stone block harbour wall that has been tarmaced on the landward side. The N side consists of rough stone blocking at only one course high stabilising the natural ground. The harbour measures c. 100 m by 20 m. <3>
The harbour was listed at Category C by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 20/07/2022. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, J. 1967. The industrial archaeology of Scotland. 313.
- --- Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Environment Scotland. 2022. Notification of the listing of Brora Harbour, Harbour Road, Brora: LB52609. Historic Environment Scotland. 21/07/2022. Digital.
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 311.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Shearer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Site 256.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9085 0390 (110m by 90m) (2 map features)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB52609 (View full online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6979 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.