MHG9770 - Brora Railway Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (Built, 19th Century - 1895 AD to 1895 AD)
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 71, 91) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974 <1>
(Location cited as NC 907 041). Brora Station, built 1895 for the Highland Railway. A two-platform through station, with the main building on the down platform. <2>
This intermediate station on the Inverness - Georgemas Junction - Wick and Thurso ('Far North') line of the former Highland Raillway. It remains in regular passenger use. <3>
The station building is in a state of disrepair and has suffered from vandalism in recent years. A group from the local community is currently lobbying for the conservation of the station building and associated engine shed. <4>
The railway arrived in Brora in 1871, although the present station and footbridge opened in 1895. Freight trains called until 1984. <5>
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 560.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Michael Pearson. 2003. Iron Roads to the Far North & Kyle - A travellers guide to the Inverness to Wick & Thurso and Kyle of Lochalsh lines.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Vallance, H A. 1985. The Highland railway. 4th, extd. 36.
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde. 71, 91.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 311-12.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 46.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Aitken, J. Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant.
- <5> Text/Publication/Leaflet: Clyne Heritage Society. c.2007. The Brora Village Trail: Uncover Brora's secret heritage. Paper (Original).
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9064 0413 (11m by 26m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB571 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6971 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.