MHG9813 - BA Socketed Axe, Kildonan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A late Bronze Age socketed axe, related to the rectangular type, from either Kildonan (J M Coles 1962) (NC 910208) or Strath Kildonan (W Henderson 1938) (centred NC 9023) is in the Hunterian Museum (Acc No B1914.288).
(Socketed axe of Melrose type). Single find. Socketed axe, smooth, dark green, untrimmed; length 73mm, mouth 21 x 24mm, cutting edge 43mm, weight 140 gms. Hunterian Museum, Glasgow (B.1914.288).
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
See link below to Hunterian Museum online Catalogue for photo of the axehead. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 150-77. 164.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 74.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 211, no. 1263.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Hunterian Museum. 2020. Hunterian Museum Online Collections Catalogue. GLAHM:B.1914.288.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9100 2080 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://collections.gla.ac.uk/ (Link to online Hunterian Museum Catalogue)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7204 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.