MHG9853 - Kilphedir
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
(A: NC 9917 1945, B: NC 9922 1941) Enclosures (NR)
OS 6"map, (1964)
Due E of a hut circle group (NC91NE 25), on opposite bank of Allt Cille Pheadair, are two hut circles. The more southerly example (B) appears to be placed within an oval enclosure. On W side of the entrance is a small chamber entered through a passage, with a lintel at its inner end. This may be the entrance to an earth-house.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
Two hut circles as described. Visited by OS (WDJ) 20 May 1960.
On a gentle S-facing slope in open moorland, are two well-preserved stone-walled huts within an associated field system. The huts appear to be broadly similar in size and construction. 'A' measures 9m NW-SE by 8.5m transversely within a heather-covered wall, 2.8m thick all round, which is faced inside and out with large stones on edge. The "simple" entrance is in SE arc. Hut 'B' (at corrected grid reference NC 99201941) is 9m internal diameter within a rubble wall about 2m to 3m thick, faced internally with a crude uncoursed wall of large stones, 1m high, the flatter side of the stone facing inside of the hut. The wall thickens at the entrance in SE arc to 4m; portal stones indicate the passage was 1.1m wide with parallel sides. The depression in wall on SW side of entrance may be tumbled remains of a souterrain, but an absence of visible wall facing renders this uncertain. The hut appears to have been built within an earlier hut which was set into the hillslope and measured approx 11m NW-SE by 9.5m within a heather-covered wall spread, where visible, to 2.5m. Two inner facing slabs are visible in NW arc. The huts appear to share a common entrance in SE.
The associated field system of 1.5 hectares comprises cleared plots, average size 40m by 30m defined mainly by lynchets and one or two field walls. There is little evidence of clearance heaps.
Re-surveyed at 1:10,560. Visited by OS (NKB) 21 October 1976.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 114-15, Nos. 326, 327; fig.49 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9921 1945 (126m by 163m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (5)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1871 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2810 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1871 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2810 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7003 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.