MHG9898 - Torrish Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC91NE 36 97 18.
Torrish Castle, now reduced to a green mound, was built by Sir Alexander Gordon in 1621.
R Gordon 1813; W Macfarlane 1906-8; H F Campbell 1920.
The whereabouts of this castle was not established during enquiries at Torrish.
Visited by OS (W D J) 19 May 1960.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Campbell, H F. 1920. Caithness and Sutherland. 141.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Weber, H (ed). 1813. Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 3, 99.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9700 1800 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7010 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.