MHG9910 - Cross Slab, Clach Na H-Uaighe
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
NC92SW 1 9102 2104.
(NC 91022104) Clach ma h-Uaighe (NR)
OS 6"map, (1963)
An upright cross slab 4' 7" high and 2' 3" broad, bearing on its west face an incised Latin cross with expanded terminals and a rounded base. It measures 2' by 1' 10" across the arms.
The stone is named variously Clach an Eig, (RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909 and J Mackay 1894), Clach na h-Uighe (RCAHMS 1911), Clach-na-heudh (NSA 1841) and Clach na h'Uaighe, (Name Book 1871 and
A cross-slab as described.
Visited by OS (W D J) 3 June 1961
No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (J M) 8 Feburary 1977.
Clach na H-uaighe, Sutherland, cross-slab
Measurements: H 1.40m, W 0.69m
Place of discovery: NC 9102 2104
Present location: in situ.
Evidence for discovery: first recorded in the mid nineteenth century, standing close to the confluence of the Kildonan Burn with the River Helmsdale.
Present condition: some damage to the edges of the slab.
An irregularly shaped upright slab has been carved with a simple linear cross, with broad pecked and smoothed lines. Flaking has obscured the terminals of the arms but there appears to have been a slight expansion.
Date: seventh or eighth century.
References: NSA 1845, vol 15, 147.
Early Medieval Carved Stones Project, A Ritchie 2016
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scott, A B. 1906. 'S Donnan the Great and his Muinntir', Trans Scot Eccles Soc Vol. 1 1905-6, p.256-67. Trans Scot Eccles Soc. 256-67. 260.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, J. 1894. 'Sutherland place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 18 1891-2, p.183-208, 325-40. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 183-208, 325-40. 198.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 7166.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15 (Sutherlandshire), 147.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 132, No. 377.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 27, 35.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9101 2104 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1888 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7166 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.