MHG9911 - Cup & Ring Stone, Duible Burn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP AND RING MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
NC92SW 10 9247 2045.
(NC 92472045) Cup & Ring Stone (NR). OS 6"map, (1963)
A cup and ring marked, pentagonal block of micaceous schist, 24" across and 6" thick, which lay embedded in the ground with its flat, sculptured face flush with the surface until it was excavated and set upright by McLeod (Information from W MacLeod, Suisgill) who discovered it in 1933. The stone bears fourteen cups, two being larger than the others, flat-bottomed and surrounded by penannular rings, through the entrances of which channels run to connect with smaller cups. The remaining cups vary from 3/4" to 2 1/2" in diameter, five having single channels and one having two channels. J M Davidson 1940
A fine specimen of a cup and ring marked stone.
Visited by OS (W D J) 3 June 1961
No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (J M) 7 December 1976
Davidson, J M, 1940, 'Notes on some antiquities from Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 74 (1939-40), pp 13-23, p 19 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1202.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9246 2044 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7167 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.