MHG9923 - Coille Cill A Mhuire

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHAPEL (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC92SW 21 902 228.

The place-name Kilmuir, Mary's Church (W J Watson 1926), is contained in Coil Chilmhuir (OSA 1792), Coille Cil-mhuire (J Mackay 1894) or Coille Cill a' Mhuire (OS 6"map, (1963)) (NC 902228) and may indicate possible Early Christian occupation in the vicinity.
A D S Macdonald and L R Laing 1973

No trace and no local knowledge of a church here.
Visited by OS (J M) 8 Feburary 1977


Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 3, 405 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.


Mackay, J, 1894, 'Sutherland place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 18 1891-2, p.183-208, 325-40, 193 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1593.


Watson, W J, 1926, The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916, 101 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2918.


Macdonald and Laing, A D S and L R, 1973, 'Early ecclesiastical sites in Scotland: a field survey, part II', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 102 1969-70, p.129-45, 135 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG692.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 9020 2280 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC92SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish KILDONAN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.