MHG9945 - Loth Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
NC91SE0047 Former Parish Graveyard
NC91SE0041 Watch House
NC91SE0046 Parish Graveyard
Jaitken : 18/12/02
NC91SE 2 9708 1138.
(NC 9708 1138) The church of Loth, apparently dedicated to St Carden, has always stood on present site (OPS 1855). Although burnt by the MacKays in 1556 it was soon rebuilt and between 1626 and 1627 was repaired (Gordon 1813).
The parish church is a new church in a complete state of repair (NSA 1845).
R Gordon 1813; NSA (written by Rev G S Taylor - 1841) 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; J Mackay 1894.
No further information was found regarding this church. The present church is dated 1830.
Visited by OS (W D J) 27 May 1960.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, J. 1894. 'Sutherland place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 18 1891-2, p.183-208, 325-40. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 183-208, 325-40. 328.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Weber, H (ed). 1813. Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. 135, 399.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, Sutherland, 210.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 731.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9708 1138 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7149 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=1623 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7100 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.