MHG9958 - Allt A' Choire Mhoir
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NC91NW 6 914 184.
Hut Circles and Enclosures (NR). OS 6"map, (1964)
On the left bank of the Allt a' Choire Mhoir, about 1 mile above its junction with the Helmsdale River are a number of circular enclosures. (Only one, 'A' is included in this site; see NC91NW 1 and 24 for the others).
The hut circle mentioned by the RCAHMS and two additional huts were encountered during field investigation.
Visited by OS (J L D) 31 May 1961.
Centred at NC 914 184 near the crest of a gently sloping NE facing ridge are three homestead type enclosures (A-C), similar in construction size and plan, being of a 'keyhole' shape, formed by a hut circle and a round-ended sub-rectangular annexe.
The circle of 'A' is 7.5m in diameter internally with the annexe lying to the N measuring 8.0m x 4.0m internally. The inner face of the hut circle is visible intermittently around the periphery, with the wall being up to 1.0m high internally with an average spread of 2.5m. The entrance to the hut is from the E.
Abutting on the E side of the circle is a rectangular enclosure, formed by a slight earth and stone bank, measuring 19.0m by 14.0m. An old field wall in a similar state of preservation to the latter runs across the hill from the W arc of the circle.
The circle of 'B' measures 9.0m in diameter internally, with the annex lying to the N being 8.5m by 4.5m internally.
Occasional inner facing stones are visible in the hut circle and annexe. The wall has an average spread of 2.0m widening to 3.0m at the entrance in the E where three portal stones line the N side of the gap. Internally, to the S of the entrance, are the remains of a small, later shelter. An old field wall, which has possibly abutted the hut circles SE arc, runs S for 8.0m, thence curves round towards the N passing in front of the entrance at a distance of 6.0m. This bank continues NE past and close to 'C'. It then turns sharply SE for about 38.0m to end in marshy ground. This wall is probably of a later period than the enclosures as it appear to delineate an area of narrow rig cultivation. The circle of 'C' measures 8.5m in diameter internally with the annexe lying to the NNW measuring 10.0m by 4.0m. The wall with occasional inner facing stones evident has an average spread of 2.0m widening to 3.5m at the 'clubbed' entrance in the ENE now choked with debris. A small quarry pit abuts the hut circle internally in the S.
See NC91NW 1 for details of the field system.
Re-surveyed at 1:10,560.
Visited by OS (J B) 4 May 1976.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 118, No. 337 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9140 1840 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7085 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.