MHG997 - St. Magnus' Chapel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The ruins of a Roman Catholic chapel lie in Shebster (ND 017 639). (See ND06SW 7.)
NSA (written by F Cook, 1840) 1845.
There was a chapel, dedicated to St. Magnus, at Shebster.
D Beaton 1909.
No evidence was found concerning this (? pre-Reformation) chapel. Visited by OS (N K B) 11 November 1964.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 5 November 1981.
- --- SHG1965 Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D. 1909. Ecclesiastical history of Caithness and annals of Caithness parishes. 39.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, Caithness, 17.
- --- SHG3470 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0169 6390 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7950 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.