MHG9972 - Cup Marked Stone, Dalchamie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
NC91NW 19 9313 1976.
(NC 9313 1976) Cup-marked Stone (NR). OS 6" map, (1964)
There is a large isolated erratic of schist with wide laminations of quartz, situated on the S ridge of the Beinn Dubhain at a point E of the Duible Burn. The boulder measures 8' long and 4' wide and it stands some 3' above the level of the turf. Locally it is known as the "Maidens Rock" and it is a comparatively prominent object in the moorland plateau as few stones there protrude above the heather.
The stone slopes down to the S, and on the highest point of it to the NE, 3 cups are cut out with their centres in exact alignment. The cup at the NE end measures 3 1/2" in diameter and 3" deep. The other two, the central one at about 2" diameter and the other which is elliptical, are comparatively shallow. The distances apart of their centres from the central cup are 4 1/4" and 2 1/2" respectively. J M Davidson 1940.
The boulder is as described by Davidson. The largest 'cup' although clearly artificial is somewhat deeper in proportion to its diameter than the average cup-mark. The central 'cup' in shape and size resembles a typical cup-mark; but the "elliptical" mark appears to be natural. Visited by OS (W D J) 3 June 1961 and (J B) 6 May 1976
Davidson, J M, 1940, 'Notes on some antiquities from Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 74 (1939-40), pp 13-23, pp 18-19 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1202.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9312 1976 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7067 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.