MHG9980 - Standing stone(s), Clach Mhic Mhios
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Undated)
NC91NW 11 9404 1508.
(NC 9404 1508) Clach Mhic Mhios (NR). OS 6" map, (1964)
Situated on a slight eminence on the moor, to the E of the hill road from Loth to Kildonan, is a standing stone of red sandstone. It is 11' high, 4' 11" broad where broadest about 7' from the ground, 2' 9" broad at the base, and 1'3" thick. It faces ESW and WNW. It is known as the 'Clach Mhic Mhios'. Near the large standing stone are two stones of smaller size erected "in the same manner".
OSA 1793; RCAHMS 1911.
This stone is as described above. The two smaller stones mentioned were not located.
Visited by OS (E G C) 4 June 1961 and (J B) 20 April 1976.
Highland Council Archaeology Unit, HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 1, 24 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24003.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG3660.
Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 6, 321 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 163, No. 474; illust. (Text/Report). SHG2657.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 1. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 24.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 6, 321.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 163, No. 474; illust..
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9404 1507 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1778 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1778 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7059 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.