MHG9980 - Standing stone(s) - Clach Mhic Mhios, Glen Loth
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
NC91NW 11 9404 1508.
(NC 9404 1508) Clach Mhic Mhios (NR). OS 6" map, (1964)
Situated on a slight eminence on the moor, to the E of the hill road from Loth to Kildonan, is a standing stone of red sandstone. It is 11' high, 4' 11" broad where broadest about 7' from the ground, 2' 9" broad at the base, and 1'3" thick. It faces ESW and WNW. It is known as the 'Clach Mhic Mhios'. Near the large standing stone are two stones of smaller size erected "in the same manner".
OSA 1793; RCAHMS 1911.
This stone is as described above. The two smaller stones mentioned were not located.
Visited by OS (E G C) 4 June 1961 and (J B) 20 April 1976.
The standing stone was visited and photographed by D Scott in 2014. It was noted that the stone has a diagonal line of 3 cup marks on its northwest side. <1>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 1. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 24.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 6, 321.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 163, No. 474; illust..
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Scott, D.. 2014. Email and photographs regarding sites in Glen Loth. Unaffiliated. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9404 1507 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1778 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7059 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.