MHG9986 - Hut Circles - Kilearnan Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NC91NE 75 953 177.
Some damage to monuments had occurred during forestry ploughing of lower slopes of hillside. Fieldwork late in 1982 on the land left unploughed recorded positions of large numbers of cairns in addition to previously known hut circles. (NC91NW 30). The excavation of a partially destroyed burnt mound (NC91NE 55) began, but was abandoned due to bad weather. In 1983 the Forestry Commission and SDD(AM) agreed on areas highlighted by the survey, which contained representative monuments to be preserved from future ploughing. An excavation was mounted to retrieve information regarding the date or span of settlement from sites both ploughed and unploughed. In addition to the completion of the burnt mound excavation, halves of three huts and a quadrant of a fourth along with ten cairns were excavated. Some finds of pottery and flint were made and samples were taken for pollen analysis.
J Barber and A Haggarty 1983.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 2. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 38, 39.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: McIntyre, A.. 1998. Survey and excavation at Kilearnan Hill, Sutherland, 1982-3. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 128. 167-201. Digital.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council. 1983. Hut Circle during excavation, Kilearnan Hill, Strath of Kildonan. Colour Slide; Digital Image. . Original & digital.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Burnt mound, Strath of Kildonan, exc'd Pit. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Barber and Haggarty, J and A. 1983. 'Kilearnan Hill (Kildonan p) settlement', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1983, p.16. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 16. 16.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9535 1775 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7053 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.