MHG9996 - Broch/Cairn, Carn Mor
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- (Alternate Type) BROCH (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Carn Mor (NR) OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
ONB (1873) calls Carn Mor an immense cairn, partly hollowed out in the centre. Name Book 1873.
RCAHMS (1911) describe it as site of a broch of which only a low mound of small stones remains. RCAHMS 1911.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R L) 16 October 1969.
Carn Mor (name still known locally) is situated on a false crest in an area of good agricultural land. It consists of mound of small stones which appears to have measured originally some 19m diameter, but it is now much spread and robbed. No wall-faces or worked stones are evident and mound is not 'broch-like' in appearance. The balance of evidence suggests that this is a cairn.
Visited by OS (R L) 16 October 1969.
Carn Mor, generally as described above, is so mutilated and overgrown by scrub and grass that its classification must remain uncertain.
Visited by OS (J B) 12 September 1980.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book 6, 65 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3390.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 20, No. 53 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 20, No. 53.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book 6, 65.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6156 9141 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13998 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.