MHG9999 - Tulloch Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
- None recorded
Centred 620 922.
(NH 6235 9223) Hut Circle (NR) (Name: NH 6212 9219) Field System (NR)
OS 25" map, (1967)
(Name: NH 6188 9209) Field System (NR)
OS 25" map, (1969)
About 1/4 mile NNW of the church (at Migdale) is a hut ruin, measuring 16' overall diameter with an interior depression c. 7' in diameter. The entrance appears to be in the SE. Some 80 yards to the NNW are two mounds, 18' in diameter and 2' - 3' in height.
A little to the E of Carn an Fhitich (NH69SW 31) are a number of "supposed hut ruins". One heap of stones measures 30' E-W by 17' N-S, and adjacent to it is a crescentic mound, facing S, about 60' long by 20' wide at the centre. Near the top of the hill are a few mounds 12' - 16' in diameter, and an oval one, 20' x 14'. The remains of old walls can be seen, at one point overlaid by two heaps, 15' apart and 15' - 16' in diameter.
About 1/2 mile NW of the W end of Loch Migdale are the remains of a hut circle measuring 24' x 20' internally with wall foundations running from it. Some 40' to the N is a heap of stones, 40' N-S by 18' E-W, with a depression within it. Nearby are severaal mounds about 12' in diameter and 1 1/2' high.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
At NH 6235 9223 is the hut described by the RCAHMS (1911) as being "about 1/2 mile NW of the W end of Loch Migdale". It is set into an E-facing slope adjacent to recent cultivation, and measures 12.5m in diameter between wall centres, with the wall, c.3.0m thick at the WNW side, splaying to c.4.0m at the "clubbed" entrance in the ESE. The "wall foundations running from it" is a modern ruined wall which passes by it.
Some 20.0m to the NW is a circular platform about 15.0m in diameter, set into a NE-facing slope. It is defined by a back scarp in the SW where living rock protrudes, a clearance heap in the W, and a build-up of stony material around the rim on the lower NE side. A modern wall overlies the SE arc. It may be the remains of a hut, but is more likely a cultivation plot.
Extending about 700.0m W of the hut and centred at NH 620 922 is an associated field system composed mainly of clearance heaps, with occasional lynchets forming plots, average size 25.0m x 20.0m. The "hut ruins", mounds, etc, described by the RCAHMS are all clearance heaps or lynchets of the field system.
Visited by OS (N K B) 10 October 1969.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (J B) 1 September 1980.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 27, No. 69 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6204 9221 (796m by 498m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14001 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)