MHG2804 - Raigbeg Bridge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Undated)
- None recorded
Site of 3 bridges:
1. 3 arch stone bridge built by General Barrington across the Findhorn (the first bridge to cross the Findhorn, since Wade's road originally forded the Findhorn). Destroyed in floods of 1829.
2. Local landowners then paid to have a temporary wooden bridge constructed. Wooden posts visible in 2002.
3. Present bridge.
Information from Ann Glynne-Percy 2002. 'General Wade, his road and Kings House Inns', Strathdearn News April 2002. <1>
<1> Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH), 2011, Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Strathdearn, Site 37 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25599.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8103 2920 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||MOY AND DALAROSSIE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14950 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.