MHG10152 - Icehouse, Helmsdale
Early C19 icehouse.
Type and Period (2)
- ICEHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1824 AD to 1824 AD)
- WALL (Built, 19th Century - 1824 AD to 1824 AD)
Probably early 19th century. A vaulted stone building set into the banking just at S end of the old Helmsdale bridge. It was used for storing ice and fish. <1>
The ice house was scheduled in 1977.
(Location cited as ND 025 154). Ice-house, early 19th century. A very large vaulted ice-house with wing-walls, supporting the front <2>.
The building was listed at Category B in 1984.
The site lies immediately to the SW of the minor road leading S out of Helmsdale. The icehouse is seperated from the road by a wall and metal gate with a small cobbled area where there is a stone dedicated to Dennis Martin in 1996. The ice house is built into the hillside with the gable end visible from the road. The E gable is c.6m high and c.8m wide, it has a wooden door and shuttered window. At the W side of the icehouse there is another, smaller, gable and what appears to be a slope for the ice to be run into the ice house. There is a double door into the icehouse and inside is made up of 2 rooms. The outer is c. 4m by c. 5m and has a small drain in the concrete floor. The inner room has no door at present, is slightly larger, c.51/2m by 5m and has a flagged floor. There is a small hole in the wall near the roof. <3>
Built into side of hill, Large, with doors to E. <4>
The ice house was descheduled by Historic Scotland in 2015 as part of the Dual Designations Project. <5>
<1> Sinclair B Calder, 1974, The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900) (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG364.
<2> Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 319 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.
<3> Historic Scotland, Historic Scotland Site Visit Notes, 20/04/1998 (Dataset). SHG23880.
<4> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 03/10/2002 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<5> Historic Scotland, 2015, Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule: Helmsdale, Ice House (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27645.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Sinclair B Calder. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900).
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 319.
- <3> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Site Visit Notes. 20/04/1998.
- <4> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 03/10/2002.
- <5> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Scotland. 2015. Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule: Helmsdale, Ice House. Historic Scotland. 09/09/2015. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0253 1537 (27m by 22m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7195 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7482 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.