MHG11621 - Stone Circle, The Mound
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STONE CIRCLE (Undated)
(NH 7690 9908) Stone Circle (NR) OS 6" map, (1960)
The remains of a stone circle, three stones of which are standing, two are prostrate and one is awanting. The diameter of the circle has been about 22'. The stones are set with their broad faces in line of the circumference. The highest stone is about 6' high, 6'6" across base and 1' thick. A trench was cut through the circle in 1867. In the centre there was discovered a cremated internment, and beneath it a cist which contained no remains.
All over the platform on which the stone circle stands are flint flakes, some of which are worked (Tait 1870).
L Tait 1870; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
Generally as described above. No part of the cist in the centre is exposed, nor were any flint flakes (Tait 1870) found in the area at time of investigation, the surface being covered by turf.
Surveyed at 1/10,560. Visited by OS (R D L) 11 April 1963.
No change Visited by OS (A A) 1 August 1975.
Nicki MacRae posted photographs of this stone circle on the Highland HER Facebook page. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Tait, L. 1870. 'Notes of the opening of a stone circle at Craigmore in Strathfleet, Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.473-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 473-5. 473-5.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Remnant Stone Circle, Strath Fleet.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 2. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 32.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 99, No. 291.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Highland Council. 2011. Highland HER Facebook page. Yes.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7690 9908 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1810 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14793 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- www.facebook.com/HighlandHER (Highland HER on Facebook)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.