MHG2801 - Findhorn Viaduct, Tomatin

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • RAILWAY VIADUCT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Not to be confused with Tomatin Viaduct (NH 802 290) or Forres, Findhorn Viaduct (NJ 0207 5868), for which see NH82NW 30 and NJ05NW 102 respectively.

This viaduct was opened in 1897 by the Highland Rly. It measures 1335 ft (407m) in length and is a 9-span structure with steel trusses supported on slender masonry piers.
J R Hume 1977.

This viaduct was designed by Murdoch Paterson to carry the (Aviemore-Carr Bridge-Inverness) Direct Line of the Highland Rly across the River Findhorn; it opened on 19 July 1897, and remains in use.
M Smith 1994.



Opened to traffic 19.7.1897


Findhorn Viaduct. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG13330.


Findhorn Viaduct. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG13331.


Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 211 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.


Nelson, G, 1990, Highland Bridges, 48 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2572.


Smith, M, 1994, British railway bridges and viaducts, 144-7 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2818.

Sources/Archives (5)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 8071 2882 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH82NW
Civil Parish MOY AND DALAROSSIE
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (4)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.