MHG50475 - Clay extraction pits - Munlochy Bay
A number of clay extraction pits strung along the seaward side of a levy.
Type and Period (1)
- CLAY PIT (Constructed, 20th Century to 21st Century - 1946 AD? to 2009 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (19/03/2007 14:11:55)
NH65SE 59 6555 5325
Several >10 quarry pits for clay extraction for levees extend for >400m. Along seaward side of levees generally c 10m.by 10m.
CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.
These features can be seen clearly on modern colour vertical aerial photographs. There is a local tradition that they were used as stew ponds by the monks of Fortrose Cathedral. <1>
The features do not appear on an aerial photograph from 1946: sortie 540/1725, photo 3163, which would suggest that they were dug relatively recently. The same photograph does show a large number of smaller pit like features strung along the southern side of the long levy to the east. <2><3>
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Highland Council. Website feedback from Martin Hind, Easter Ross Countryside Ranger. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Royal Air Force. 1946-7. Highland Council Collection of RAF Vertical Aerial Photographs. 540/1725, 3163.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6545 5318 (227m by 281m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/287454 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.