MHG8173 - Long Cairn - Kinrive East
A somewhat denuded chambered long cairn at Kinrive East.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
NH67NE 5 6999 7540.
Long cairn, orientated NE-SW, 45ft long and 25ft wide.
Somewhat denuded, it now has a height of only 3ft. No visible signs of chamber. Human bones have often been found (ISSFC 1902).
ISSFC 1902; V G Childe 1944; A S Henshall 1963, Visited 14 July 1966.
NH 6999 7540 Generally as described above this cairn of bare stone measures 18.0m X 11.0m and is 1.2m high.
Visited by OS (R D L) 12 May 1963.
The site was Scheduled with the larger long cairn to the southwest in 1964.
Graham Grant visited this cairn on 23 September 2011 and took some photographs for the HER. He comments that "it really only consists of very few original stones, clearance stones and robber holes - very haphazard and difficult to understand why it is in such poor condition when the other well-preserved long cairn is only a few metres away". He notes that there seem to be numerous graves of farm pets (?) throughout the cairn. <1>
The site was re-scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <2> <3>
NGR amended in 2017 according to its location on OS MasterMap. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1944. 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 26-38. 31.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 12.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 350, ROS 26.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 563, 565, Ros 26.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1902. 'Excursion to Balnagown and Strathrory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 5 1895-9, p.359-64. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 359-64. 363.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Grant, G. 2009-11. Information and photographs of various HER sites submitted by Graham Grant. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: MacIver, M.. 2016. Changes to the schedule of Monuments 27/09/2016. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM2436: Kinrive West and Kinrive East, long cairns 150m NNW and 175m N of Mid Kinrive. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7000 7541 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||KILMUIR EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2436 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13727 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.