MHG8624 - Marybank Church and Burial Ground
The original parish church of Logie Easter.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 18th Century - 561 AD to 1767 AD)
J Aitken : 12/12/02
NH77NW 9 7498 7612.
Church (NAT) (In Ruins) on Site of Chapel (NR)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
At Marybank there is a ruined church. Its walls are practically intact, with exception of S wall, which is broken down.
The body of the church is a somewhat narrow parallelogram, from orthern side of which projects a gabled wing. The church is thought to be pre-Reformation, although N wing appears to be of considerably later date than rest of church. The unenclosed graveyard contains many stones. One dated 1593, but date is not thought to be original.
ISSFC 1902. ( Vol 5, p360- HAW 9.2002)
A post-Reformation church on site of a pre- Reformation chapel. The church has been in disuse since 1767, but surrounding burial ground is still in use.
Name Book 1873.
This church is as generally described above, but only W and N gables now stand to roof height, ie. C.6m. The other walls vary in height from 0.5 to 2m, and are up to 0.8m thick.
About a dozen grave slabs can still be seen in the burial ground, but none have legible dates.
Visited by OS (R D L) 19 May 1963.
The roofless shell of this T-plan church stands 200m SE of Marybank. Built of mortared rubble, it survives to gable height on N and W; chamfered windows indicate a 17th century date for church but some of tombstones in surrounding graveyard appear to be of earlier date. (Succeeded by NH77NE 5.)
RCAHMS 1979, visited November 1978.
This was the original LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH, which was replaced as Parish Church around 1818 by the building of the church at NH 77NE 6. This in turn was replaced as Parish Church by the church at NH 77NE 8 (former United Free Church). NH 77NE 8 remains the present LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH.
Cait McCullagh submitted a view of the ruined chapel via the Highland HER Facebook page. <1>
The ruined church at Marybank in the parish of Logie Easter is probably pre-Reformation. It is likely to have been the site of an even older church or significant religious site. On the Kilmuir side of the river is Cadha an t-sagairt, the priest’s path – perhaps an early route in the area linking the church and Balnagown Castle. On the 1920's Ordnance survey map for the region a footpath along the river is marked, preserving part of the route of the priests path. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 27, No. 226.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 25, 29.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1902. 'Excursion to Balnagown and Strathrory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 5 1895-9, p.359-64. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 359-64. 360-1.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Highland Council. 2011. Highland HER Facebook page. Yes. Cait McCullagh, 02/04/2011.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Pathways into the Past: Milton. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 10.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7498 7612 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3755 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14581 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- www.facebook.com/HighlandHER (Highland HER Facebook page)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.