MHG8897 - Tulloch Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Mid Ross Local Plan, Oct 1990: P23/3.25. POLICY - The Council considers that Tulloch Castle would be suitable for flats, offices, an hotel or institutional use.
J Aitken : 06/06/01
NH56SW 8 5472 6030.
Tulloch Castle (TI) Castle (GT) OS 6"map, (1938)
Tulloch Castle is supposed to have been built about 13th century. It was repaired 1513, and portions added 1675 and 1762. It stood ruinous after a fire about 1850, and was restored 1923.
Name Book 1876; N Macrae 1923.
Tulloch Castle is a modern house (built 1918-23) incorporating the remains of an early C16th tower in its SW angle. The basement only of tower appears to survive. The masonry has been harled but a number of lights and gun-loops are visible.
Visited by OS (N K B) 1 July 1965.
Tulloch Castle and remains of (NAT) Castle (NR) OS 6"map, (1969)
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 16 November 1976
Ornate dormer pediment in garden of W dwelling at Mains of Tulloch (NH56SW 37) bears initials AD (Davidson of Tulloch from 1760) and may derive from Tulloch Castle.
ARCHITECT: Sir Robert Lorimer 1920-22-additions
Robert Adam 1789-90 -design for a ruinous castle & a cottage
BIBLIOGRAPHIC REFERENCE: NMRS LIBRARY
Scottish Country Life, Vol III, No 6, pp.245-8, June 1916
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. after xvi.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Rowan, A. 1988. Robert Adam. pps 98-99.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: SDD. 1960-. List of Buildings of Architectural or Historical Interest, (Lists held in Architectural Department of RCAHMS). 3ingwall Parish, 26-7, no.20.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 10.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5470 6032 (67m by 57m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24518 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12953 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.