EHG5054 - Research excavation - hut circle Torr Na H-Ulaidhe, Auchtercairn
ENVIRONMENTAL SAMPLING, RESEARCH EXCAVATION
An excavation comprising four trenches (two of which were for soil sampling), was carried out on a hut circle at Auchtercairn in 2012 as part of the WeDigs project led by A Welti. Trench 1 was excavated in the centre of the hut circle and yielded evidence of intense fire. Trench 2, excavated across the wall of the stucture, revealed the monumental well-built base of a 2m thick wall. There was no trace of an occupation horizon. <1> Environmental and finds analysis were carried out by AOC Archaeology Group. <2> Pollen Analysis was carried out by S Timpany of ORCA Marine. <3> Multi-element analysis of soil samples taken across the site of this hut circle was carried out by S Curran of the University of Stirling. <4> Additional soil analysis of samples taken from outside this hut circle was carried out A Welti. <5> Radio-carbon dating of samples from this hut circle was carried out by SUERC. <6> A shorter published summary of the WeDigs project, including the archaeological trenching at this hut circle was also produced. <7>
- <1>XY Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Welti, A. & Wildgoose, M.. 2015. Wedigs Project 2012-2014: Final Report: A Study of West Coast Circular Structures through Landscape Survey, Site Survey and Excavation. Unaffiliated. Paper and Digital. [Mapped features: #9582 ; #9583 Trenches 1 and 2, ]
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J., Roy, L., Engl, R. and McLaren, D.. 2013-14. A Study of West Coast Circular Structures through Landscape Survey, Site Survey and Excavation: Environmental Analysis (including finds analysis). AOC Archaeology Group. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report: Timpany, S.. 2014. Pollen Analysis from Achtercairn 2 & 3, Gairloch, Wester Ross, Highlands. ORCA Marine. Digital.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Curran, S.. 2013. Assessing the effectiveness of multi-element analysis techniques in identifying past human activity at an Iron Age roundhouse in Wester Ross. University of Stirling. Digital.
- <5> Text/Report: Welti. A.. 2013. Results of soil sampling analysis on WeDigs hut circle sites. Anna Welti. Yes. Digital.
- <6> Text/Report: SUERC. 2013-14. Radio-carbon dating of samples from WeDigs Project. SUERC. Digital.
- <7> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Welti, A., Wildgoose, M. & Fenton, J.. 2013. Prehistoric Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. Unaffiliated. Paper and Digital.
|Location||Torr Na H-Ulaidhe, Auchtercairn|
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8059 7713 (4m by 10m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.