EHG5054 - Research excavation - hut circle Torr Na H-Ulaidhe, Auchtercairn
An excavation comprising four trenches (two of which were for soil sampling), was carried out on a hut circle at Auchtercairn in 2012 as part of the WeDigs project led by A Welti. Trench 1 was excavated in the centre of the hut circle and yielded evidence of intense fire. Trench 2, excavated across the wall of the stucture, revealed the monumental well-built base of a 2m thick wall. There was no trace of an occupation horizon. <1> Environmental and finds analysis were carried out by AOC Archaeology Group. <2> Pollen Analysis was carried out by S Timpany of ORCA Marine. <3> Multi-element analysis of soil samples taken across the site of this hut circle was carried out by S Curran of the University of Stirling. <4> Additional soil analysis of samples taken from outside this hut circle was carried out A Welti. <5> Radio-carbon dating of samples from this hut circle was carried out by SUERC. <6> A shorter published summary of the WeDigs project, including the archaeological trenching at this hut circle was also produced. <7>
- <1>XY SHG27559 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Welti, A. & Wildgoose, M.. 2015. Wedigs Project 2012-2014: Final Report: A Study of West Coast Circular Structures through Landscape Survey, Site Survey and Excavation. Unaffiliated. Paper and Digital. [Mapped features: #9582 ; #9583 Trenches 1 and 2, ]
- <2> SHG27694 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J., Roy, L., Engl, R. and McLaren, D.. 2013-14. A Study of West Coast Circular Structures through Landscape Survey, Site Survey and Excavation: Environmental Analysis (including finds analysis). AOC Archaeology Group. Digital.
- <3> SHG27695 Text/Report: Timpany, S.. 2014. Pollen Analysis from Achtercairn 2 & 3, Gairloch, Wester Ross, Highlands. ORCA Marine. Digital.
- <4> SHG27696 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Curran, S.. 2013. Assessing the effectiveness of multi-element analysis techniques in identifying past human activity at an Iron Age roundhouse in Wester Ross. University of Stirling. Digital.
- <5> SHG27697 Text/Report: Welti. A.. 2013. Results of soil sampling analysis on WeDigs hut circle sites. Anna Welti. Yes. Digital.
- <6> SHG27698 Text/Report: SUERC. 2013-14. Radio-carbon dating of samples from WeDigs Project. SUERC. Digital.
- <7> SHG27566 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Welti, A., Wildgoose, M. & Fenton, J.. 2013. Prehistoric Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. Unaffiliated. Paper and Digital.
|Location||Torr Na H-Ulaidhe, Auchtercairn|
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8059 7713 (4m by 10m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Operational Area||ROSS SKYE AND LOCHABER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
- MHG7523 Hut circle - Torr Na H-Ulaidhe (Auchtercairn AH005) (Monument)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2018 11:27AM