A small-scale excavation was carried out by S Piggott at the Culdoich Cairn at Clava in 1953. This was in pursuance of the excavation policy outlined by the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland after the Second World War whereby regional types of monument classes should be selected for excavation as representatives of their type where evidence for their date and culture were lacking. Excavation of the greater part of the inner area showed that undisturbed deposits remained in situ. It was revealed that the original clay surface itself had, in the centre, a roughly circular area of about 7 ft. diameter heavily impregnated with charcoal and scattered cremated human bones. Other more sparsely scattered cremated bone fragments, unaccompanied by charcoal, extended out to the enclosing stones. No databale artefacts were found. <1>
A report on the analysis of the cremated bone was produced by F.P. Lisowski. <2>
Text/Publication/Article: Piggott, S. 1956. Excavations in passage-graves and ring-cairns of the Clava group 1952-3. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 88. 173-207. pp.190-2. [Mapped features: #9686 ; #9687 ]
Text/Publication/Article: Lisowski, F P. 1958. Cremations from the Culdoich, Leys and Kinchyle sites. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 89. 83-90.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred NH 7511 4378 (6m by 5m)
INVERNESS NAIRN BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY
DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MHG2957Ring cairn and standing Stone - Ballaggan (Monument)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2018 11:28AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.