The roofless former meeting house at Barrisdale was subject to photographic survey and building analysis by C Dagg in 2022 in advance of proposals to restore and re-use the building. During this rapid site visit it was noted that the building does not appear to have deteriorated significantly since the previous survey in 2002 (see EHG3428) other than the loss of the doorway lintel. Recent clearing of vegetation from the interior has revealed more of a roughly cobbled floor. Some fragments of metalwork were noted, although not the iron desk ends seen during previous visits. An intact cast iron rooflight is propped against the outer wall and there are many fragments of roofing slates, either Welsh or Spanish. There is, as yet, no documentary or cartographic evidence for the existence of the building before 1853, when it appears on the Admiralty Chart 2497 Loch Hourn, surveyed in 1852-3. <1>
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred NG 1874 8059 (8m by 15m) (2 map features)
SKYE AND LOCHALSH
ROSS SKYE AND LOCHABER
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MHG18648Former church/meeting house - Barrisdale Quoad Sacra (Monument)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2022 2:50PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.