MHG10119 - St. John the Baptist's Chapel, Helmsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (16th Century - 1578 AD? to 1578 AD?)
- HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1362 AD? to 1362 AD?)
- None recorded
J Aitken : 12/12/02
The graveyard is in modern use. Long walled area to the W of the river. Modern graves in 3(?) compartments, the 2(?) most northerly still not in use. See photo - HAW 11/2002
Included in Historic Scotland / SUAT Hospitals Gazetteer 2000
earthworks visible within the main Helmsdale cemetery
- see Assoc. Docs
ND01NW 17 0246 1562.
St John the Baptist's Chapel (NR) (Site of) OS 25" map, (1971)
Helmsdale Hospital dedicated to St John the Baptist was founded before 1362 and was a dependent of Kinloss Abbey. William, Earl of Sutherland, is said to have bestowed upon Kinloss Abbey the hospital of St John Baptist at Hebnisden, 21 May 1362. This has been identified with the hospital of St John at Helmsdale, the master of which is said to have been subsequently a canonry and prebend of cathedral at Dornoch. There is a reference, in 1578, to the chaplainry in chapel of St John Baptist at Helmsdale.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; J Mackay 1894; D E Easson 1957.
St John the Baptist's Chapel (Site of): "The site of this chapel can be still traced. It stands in a Graveyard which is still used by the parishiners.."
Name Book 1871.
At this site is a low earthen bank (possible covering a wall) 2m wide and 0.3m high, forming a rectangle 15m E-W by 7.2m transversely, and it seems probable that this is all that remains of the chapel. The burial ground is still in use.
Visited by OS (W D J) 23 May 1960.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 22 June 1976.
See assoc. docs. File. J Aitken : 06/03/01.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, J. 1894. 'Sutherland place names', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 18 1891-2, p.183-208, 325-40. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 183-208, 325-40. 328.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cachart, R, Murray, C and Hall, DW. 2000. A Gazetteer of Medieval Hospital Sites.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Easson, D E. 1957. Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man. 146.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell S. 2002. Wahat was the Hospital of St John in Helsdale.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 25, 28.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 731.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0246 1562 (16m by 11m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7431 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.