MHG10478 - Township, Braeval
A settlement established c.1820 consisting of a row of four or five small crofts with associated buildings.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOWNSHIP (Established, 19th Century - 1820 AD to 1820 AD (circa))
- None recorded
NC90NW 32 920 083.
Centred at NC 9207 0830: Four rectangular buildings in varying ruinous states, each with an enclosure abutting it to the N. Running W-E in front of the houses is a track, and immediately to the S is a large enclosure.
(The buildings are shown roofed on OS 6-inch map, Sutherland, 1st ed. (1879), sheet xcviii.)
J Harden 1991. <1>
This site was visited during a walkover survey in 1999. The settlement comprises a row of four or five small crofts marked by short parallel strips of land with associated buildings. There are three principal long rectangular stone structures and a number of smaller structures. Immediately adjacent to the mapped structures the survey noted a number of small cairns up to 3m in diameter and a small rectangular structure measuring 7m by 4m. There is a single house with enclosures 150m to the east. Maps in the Sutherland Estate Papers show that Braeval was constructed in about 1820, during the improvement of Kintradwell Farm, to replace houses demolished in the newly enclosed fields to the south. It was still occupied at the time of the Ordnance Survey 1st edition survey of 1872. <2>
- --- SHG21146 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Harden J. 1991. Archaeological Field Survey of area to be afforested for Mr Carruthers at Kintradwell NC 9208 Sutherland. 30/07/1991. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- SHG4825 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4826 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4827 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4828 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4829 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- <1> SHG1004 Text/Publication/Article: Harden, J. 1991. 'Kintradwell (Loth parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1991, p.48. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 48. 48.
- <2> SHG21174 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Carter, S and Rideout, J. 03/1999. Forestry Survey: Kintradwell, Sutherland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 03/03/1999. . Site 2, Figure 2.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 92084 08322 (389m by 229m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/75134 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.