MHG10511 - Cairns w cists, 0.5 mile E of Morvich Lodge
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
NC70SE 3 7603 0059 and 7600 0054.
('A' NC 7603 0059; 'B' NC 7600 0054) Cairns (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1970)
There are two cairns, each containing a cist, and a number of small mounds 1/2 mile E of Morvich Lodge. One of the cists is polygonal. RCAHMS 1911, visited 1911
The two cairns ('A' and 'B') noted by RCAHM(2) are mutilated. The "Mounds" noted by RCAHM are stone clearance heaps (See NC70SE 13).
'A' is 9.5m in diameter by 0.6m high. Just S of the centre is a cist, 1.1m long, E-W by 0.4m by 0.3m deep.
'B' 7.5m in diameter by 1.0m high, has a kerb. There is no sign of a cist and the polygonal one mentioned by RCAHM is an old excavation. Revised at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (R D L) 15 April 1964 and (J M) 15 July 1975.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7602 0056 (59m by 65m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1809 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1809 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5939 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.