MHG10618 - St. Callan's, Rogart
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
Still in use CoS. Exterior rendered & white painted. Graveyard v full. Small building in SW corner by gate. On prominent site on rising hill. Photo - HAW 9/2004
See also: NC70SW0178 Graveyard
J Aitken : 12/12/02
NC70SW 20 7385 0352.
The Church of Rogart was given by Bishop Gilbert (bishop second quarter of 13th century) to Church of Dornoch.
H Morrison 1883.
The church, dedicated apparently to a saint known locally as St Callan, was repaired between 1602 and 1619 by Sir Robert Gordon. The church appears to have stood at all times in village of Rogart where present building was erected in 1777 (but see also NC70SW 16 - St Callan's Chapel - site).
Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
NC 7385 0352. The present church of St Callan was gutted about 1770 and rebuilt in 1777. It was restored in 1956, and is still in use. The original church on this site superseded chapel further S in 1556 (Info from Rev J B Imrie, The Manse, Rogart to OS).
Visited by OS (N K B) 17 February 1966.
No change. Church still in use. Visited by OS (NKB) 29 April 1981.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7387 0352 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB17441 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5975 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.