MHG31410 - Cemetery, St. Callan's, Rogart


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Cemetery around the church, lies on rising hill with cemetery predominantly on the S side. Now largely superceded by modern cemetery to the N. This one remained in use until the 1930s and occasional burials since. Generally very full, few early stones standing (some laid flat) most of rest are C19 - HAW 9/2004

See also: NC70SW0020 Church
J Aitken : 12/12/02
'Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. First published 1989, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1999.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
A genealogical study of gravestones in St. Callan's graveyard was undertaken by Christine Stokes and printed in 2002. The author has surveyed all monumental inscriptions in graveyard, as well as a photographic record of stones. The publication gives a comprehensive account offamilies and people buried in graveyard. Copy deposited with Clyne Heritage Society.
Contact details:
J Aitken : 12/12/02
Church of Rogart given by Bishop Gilbert (bishop in second quarter of 13th century) to Church of Dornoch.
H Morrison 1883.

The church, dedicated apparently to a saint known locally as St Callan, was repaired between 1602 and 1619 by Sir Robert Gordon. The church appears to have stood at all times in the village of Rogart where the present building was erected in 1777 (but see also NC70SW 16 - St Callan's Chapel - site).
Orig Paroch Scot 1855.

NC 7385 0352. The present church of St Callan was gutted about 1770 and rebuilt in 1777. Restored in 1956, and is still in use.
The original church on this site superseded the chapel further S in 1556 (Information from Rev J B Imrie, The Manse, Rogart to OS).
Visited by OS (N K B) 17 February 1966.

No change. Church still in use. Visited by OS (NK

B) 29 April 1981.

Sources/Archives (4)



Grid reference Centred NC 7384 0352 (200m by 200m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NC70SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish ROGART

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.