MHG10685 - Double Stone Circle, Cnoc an Liath-Bhaid
A double stone circle, of which five stones remain standing.
Type and Period (1)
- STONE CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
NC71SW 1 7280 1016.
(NC 7280 1016) Stone Circle (NR) OS 6" map, (1968)
This stone circle, a little more than 1/2 mile ENE of shepherd's house at Braegrudie, has had a double ring of stones - an outer, 28ft in diameter and an inner, 22ft in diameter. Of the outer circle, two stones remain uprisht in position, one merely protrudes above ground and two lie prostrate. Of the inner circle there appear to be five stones in situ and one prostrate. They appear to have been set with their broad faces in line of circumference. Slightly N of the centre of the circle are signs of a low cairn which seems to have been excavated. There are numerous small mounds for nearly 1/4 mile north- wards along haunch of the hill.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909. <1>
The remains of this stone circle are as described and planned by the RCAHMS. The small mounds in the area appear to be the usual field clearance heaps.
Visited by OS (W D J) 14 April 1964.
The site was surveyed by L J Myatt of the Caithness Field Club in 1977. At a height of 275m, and 0.9km ENE of the croft of Braegrudie, in Strath Brora, at NC 728102, is a setting of standing stones of which five still remain standing and a further three lie fallen on the ground. Within the setting are the remains of a cairn, and in the vicinity are numerous, low, peat covered mounds. The stones are set with their broad faces pointing inwards, with the tallest stone to the west. Plan included. <2>
The remains of a stone circle, as described and planned by the RCAHMS, situated on a natural terrace within a field system (NC71SW 2).
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 10 June 1981.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 181, No. 518; plan, illust.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1977. 'Survey of a stone setting at Cnoc an Liath-Bhaid Strath Brora', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 2 Oct 1977, p.71. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 71. 71.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7280 1016 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1780 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfieldclub/bulletins/1977/october/stonesetting.htm (Read Caithness Field Club Bulletin article online)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6096 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.