MHG45065 - Double Stone Circle, Cnoc an Liath-Bhaid
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
NC71SW 1 7280 1016.
(NC 7280 1016) Stone Circle (NR) OS 6" map, (1968)
This stone circle, a little more than 1/2 mile ENE of shepherd's house at Braegrudie, has had a double ring of stones - an outer, 28ft in diameter and an inner, 22ft in diameter. Of the outer circle, two stones remain uprisht in position, one merely protrudes above ground and two lie prostrate. Of the inner circle there appear to be five stones in situ and one prostrate. They appear to have been set with their broad faces in line of circumference. Slightly N of the centre of the circle are signs of a low cairn which seems to have been excavated. There are numerous small mounds for nearly 1/4 mile north- wards along haunch of the hill.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
The remains of this stone circle are as described and planned by the RCAHMS. The small mounds in the area appear to be the usual field clearance heaps.
Visited by OS (W D J) 14 April 1964.
The remains of a stone circle, as described and planned by the RCAHMS, situated on a natural terrace within a field system (NC71SW 2).
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 10 June 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1977. 'Survey of a stone setting at Cnoc an Liath-Bhaid Strath Brora', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 2 Oct 1977, p.71. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 71. 71.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 181, No. 518; plan, illust.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7280 1015 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1780 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6096 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.