MHG10901 - St. Andrew's Church - Golspie
Early C18 cruciform church with later S aisle. Built on site of medieval St Andrew's Chapel.
Type and Period (3)
- CHURCH (Built, 18th Century - 1736 AD to 1737 AD (between))
- CHURCH (South aisle added, 18th Century - 1754 AD to 1754 AD)
- CHAPEL (In use, Medieval to 17th Century - 1330 AD to 1619 AD (between))
Church (NAT) on site of Church (NR) OS 6"map, (1969)
18th century parish church stands on site of St Andrew's Chapel. St Andrew's Chapel is on record in 1330 and was in use until at least 1556. In 1619 the parish church was transferred from Kilmaly (NH79NE 5) to this site. The present church was built1738 and had an aisle added 1751, but it may embody parts of a simpler building extant in 1650. (See also NC80SW 13.)
R Gordon 1813; Orig Paroch Scot 1855. <1> <2>
The church and its graveyard were listed at Category A in 1971.
No further information. Visited by OS (J M) 29 October 1975.
ARCHITECT: Kenneth Sutherland, joiner 1738
Mr George Hay states that he has recorded this to some extent.
See also: <3> <4>
Photographs were submitted to the HER by participants in a Community Timelines course, run by ARCH in 2010. <5>
Research on the church was carried out by Michael Simpson, a participant in a Community Timelines course, run by ARCH in 2010. The date of building, as the Earl of Sutherland' s Chapel, is not known, but it is mentioned in family records of the thirteenth century. It escaped damage in the sixteenth century religious upheavals. When the existing Parish Church at Culmaily Kirkton became ruinous, it was abandoned and St. Andrew's became the Parish Church in 1619. St. Andrew's was in good shape in 1707 and had minor attention in 1731: repairs to the pulpit, a new stool of repentance, an iron stand for the hourglass (made By John Innes, the Dunrobin gunsmith) and new dykes for the kirkyard. However, structural problems had developed by 1736. The attached document outlines the development of the church in the 18th-20th centuries. <6>
See also: NC80SW0151 Graveyard
J Aitken : 12/12/02
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Weber, H (ed). 1813. Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. 361.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 649-50.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 111, No. 49; illusts..
- <4> Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, E. 1995. Sutherland: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paper (Original). 43-44.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital.
- <6> Text/Manuscript: Simpson, M. 06/2010. Research on St Andrews Parish Church, Golspie. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8377 0022 (21m by 18m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7036 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6591 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.