MHG31411 - Cemetery, St. Andrew's Church, Golspie

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also:
NC80SW0006 St. Andrew's Church (parent record)
NC80SW0046 Mausoleum
J Aitken : 12/12/02
-----
Post 1984 - work was carried out in graveyard which involved uncovering the flatstones from beneath a covering of turf and grass. These flatstones have been laid in a bed of gravel which completely covers SE & SW areas of graveyard and part of NW & NE sections, below N slope at the back of the graveyard which leads to the new part.The S aisle has the date 1754 roughly inscribed on the surface of the wall.
J Aikten : 08/01/03.
------
A noteable dedication to James Maxwell Joass, who was minister in at St. Andrews between Nov. 1866 and June 1914. The Rev. Joass was involved in many of the excavations which took place in Sutherland in the latter part of the 19th century and has been mentioned on many ocassions in the PSAS.
J Aitken : 07/01/03.
------
The church was closed for renovation work1951 and re-opened Feb. 1954 when a rededication service was conducted by the Rev. Robert C. Alston. Northern Times, August 27, 1954
J Aitken : 07/01/03
------
The 'Gordons of Carroll' memorial tablet was housed in a walled enclosure with a wrought iron gate. In 1972 the side walls of the enclosure were reduced to ground level - for safety. In 1984-85 during the A9 improvements, the tablet was removed to the N of the graveyard. Also some burials and gravestones were relocated to other parts of the graveyard.
Highland Council, Roads Department
J Aitken : 07/01/03
------
'Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. First published 1989, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1999.
Memorial survey of the oldest parts of the burial ground was carried out by M.W.Grant in 1972.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
-----
It was noted that the inscriptions on the stones had deteriorated in the last 15-20 years. Some of the gravestones have been cleared from turf and vegetation in recent years and have been exposed to the elements.
Information supplied by Allan Lannon, Caithness.
J Aitken : 12/12/02
------
NC80SW 6 8377 0023.
Church (NAT) on site of Church (NR) OS 6"map, (1969)

The 18th century parish church stands on the site of St Andrew's Chapel. St Andrew's Chapel is on record in 1330 and was in use until at least 1556. In 1619 the parish church was transferred from Kilmaly (NH79NE 5) to this site. The present church was built in 1738 and had an aisle added in 1751, but it may embody parts of a simpler building extant in 1650. (See also NC80SW 13.)
R Gordon 1813; Orig Paroch Scot 1855.

No further information. Visited by OS (J M) 29 October 1975.

ARCHITECT: Kenneth Sutherland, joiner 1738

Mr George Hay states that he has recorded this to some extent.


Weber, H (ed), 1813, Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun, 361 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2273.


OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 649-50 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.


Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands, 111, No. 49; illusts. (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 8375 0026 (111m by 132m)
Map sheet NC80SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish GOLSPIE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (4)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.