MHG10949 - Cairn - Achargary
Cairn at Achargary
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
('A': NC 7198 5490 and 'B': NC 7203 5486) Cairns (NR)
OS 6"map, (1964)
Two heavily robbed cairns, of which only stony rims remain. 'A' is 11m in diameter and 'B' 15m.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (J L D) 3 May 1960.
Cairns 'A' and 'B' are on the old river terrace at the west side of the River Naver.
'A' is completely turf-covered. It is visible as a platform measuring 12.5m NE-SW by 11.5m with a peripheral, ragged ridge of rubble 0.2m high and 1.5m spread.
'B' is a stony mound adopting a level stance and measuring approximately 15.5m diameter; the body content is low and much disturbed. Intruding in the west sector is a circular depression.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J M) 25 June 1977. (See MHG61509 for Cairn B)
On 4th November 2001, Marlyn Price and Meryl Marshall of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS), conducted a survey of the archaeological features of the Achcheargary 'Cairns', Strathnaver. Some of the stonework from the sites may have been robbed in order to construct a substantial wall enclosing a field on the lower valley floor nearby.
Site 2.0. Circular enclosure/?Cairn. The middle of the three "cairns", this feature is situated atop a small knoll at the edge of the escarpment overlooking the flood plain. The circular earthbank encloses an area with an internal diameter of 9m. The earthbank has some stones evident and is generally 1m in width and variable in height (0.3m at its highest) but is barely discernible for a small section in the north. There may be an entrance in the southeast. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 84, No. 244.
- <1> Text/Report: Marshall M, Price M. Field Survey of Achcheargary Cairns, Strathnaver. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS). . .
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7198 5490 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6308 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.