MHG10949 - Cairns, Achargary
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NC75SW 2 7198 5490.
('A': NC 7198 5490 and 'B': NC 7203 5486) Cairns (NR)
OS 6"map, (1964)
Two heavily robbed cairns, of which only stony rims remain. 'A' is 11m in diameter and 'B' 15m.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (J L D) 3 May 1960.
Cairns 'A' and 'B' are on the old river terrace at the west side of the River Naver.
'A' is completely turf-covered. It is visible as a platform measuring 12.5m NE-SW by 11.5m with a peripheral, ragged ridge of rubble 0.2m high and 1.5m spread.
'B' is a stony mound adopting a level stance and measuring approximately 15.5m diameter; the body content is low and much disturbed. Intruding in the west sector is a circular depression.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J M) 25 June 1977.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 84, No. 244 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7197 5489 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6308 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.