MHG11369 - Cup Marked Stone, Learable Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
NC82SE 2 8948 2400.
(NC 8948 2400) Cup-marked Stone (NR)
OS 6"map, (1962)
A cup-marked, earth-fast boulder of schist with a flat upper surface exposed for an area of 7' by 3'4". The cup-marks, well-defined and measuring about 3 1/2" in diameter by 1 1/2" deep, occur in two groups, one at the SW end of the stone consisting of twelve orthodox cup-marks and an elongated marking and the other group near the middle of the stone consisting of seven small cup-marks and two elongated markings. The three elongated markings measure 6" to 7" in length and may be due to weathering combining pairs of round cup-marks.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (W D J) 29 May 1961
No change to previous reports.
Visited by OS (J B) 23 December 1976
This cup-marked stone lies some 30m SSW of a cairn (NC82SE 3), immediately within the head-dyke of Learable township (NC82se20). There are at least 16 plain cup-marks on its upper face (2m in length by 1.4m in breadth) and they measure up to 100mm in diameter and 40mm in depth. Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 June 1991.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 134, No. 383 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
RCAHMS, 1993, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Strath of Kildonan: an archaeological survey (Text/Report). SHG2669.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 134, No. 383.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1993. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Strath of Kildonan: an archaeological survey. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8948 2400 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1803 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1803 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6709 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.