MHG11659 - Findspot of symbol stone (number 4), Littleferry Links
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH89NW 2.4 820 980.
No. 4. A fragment of red sandstone, of irregular shape, found in 1880, about 2m W of Golspie, on the same line of links as the others. It measures 1ft in length, 8ins in width and 3 1/2ins in thickness, having sculptured on one face, with incised lines, the termination of a V-shaped rod and part of a crescent symbol. The ornamental termination of the V-shaped rod on this stone is remarkable for the beauty of its design.
This stone (0.21m x 0.29m x 0.08m) is in Dunrobin Museum No. 14 (Acc.no. 1880.10). This fits with Littleferry Links No. 5 (see NH89NW 2.5). Information from R Jones 1980.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 102, No. 298 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8200 9799 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15343 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.