MHG11659 - Findspot of symbol stone (number 4), Littleferry Links
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH89NW 2.4 820 980.
No. 4. A fragment of red sandstone, of irregular shape, found in 1880, about 2m W of Golspie, on the same line of links as the others. It measures 1ft in length, 8ins in width and 3 1/2ins in thickness, having sculptured on one face, with incised lines, the termination of a V-shaped rod and part of a crescent symbol. The ornamental termination of the V-shaped rod on this stone is remarkable for the beauty of its design.
This stone (0.21m x 0.29m x 0.08m) is in Dunrobin Museum No. 14 (Acc.no. 1880.10). This fits with Littleferry Links No. 5 (see NH89NW 2.5). Information from R Jones 1980.
Little Ferry Links 4, Sutherland, Pictish symbol stone fragments
Measurements: H 0.50m, W 0.38m, D 0.09m
Stone type: red sandstone
Place of discovery: NH 814966
Present location: 4 Dunrobin Museum (ARC 545), Dunrobin Castle; 4a Inverness Museum & Art Gallery (where it is displayed alongside a cast of no 4; 00.211).
Evidence for discovery: no 4 was a surface find made in 1880 and no 4a came from the same area. It came to the museum sometime between 1909 and 1917 but no details are known of its discovery.
Present condition: broken but carving is clear.
Together these two fragments represent the top left portion of a symbol stone incised with at least two symbols. A crescent and V-rod with internal decoration is carved above two concentric arcs, which may be part of a mirror or triple disc.
Date: seventh century.
References: ECMS pt3, 45, 47-8; Harden 1986; Fraser 2008, no 146.4.
Early Medieval Carved Stones Project, A Ritchie 2016
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 15344.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 102, No. 298.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8200 9799 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15343 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.