MHG11658 - Findspot of symbol stone (number 5), Littleferry Links
Part of a stone inscribed with a crescent and V-rod. Now in Inverness Museum.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH89NW 2.5 814 966.
No. 5. A fifth fragment of a Pictish symbol stone which joins onto no. 4, has recently been recognised in Inverness Museum. It bears part of a crescent and V-rod, below which is a double arc of a second symbol, possibly a mirror or double disc.
Information provided by G Harden, Inverness Museum, (Acc. No. IM 00.211).
RCAHMS 1985. <1>
This fragment was found on Littleferry Links, Golspie and fits onto no. 4 that is in Dunrobin Museum (see NH89NW 2.4).
Information from R Jones 1980.
Included in a catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery, original version 1994, updated 2010. When joined with other fragments of the stone, now at Dunrobin Castle Museum, the left hand portion of a Crescent & V-rod is clear. The top of the arm of the V-rod is decorated with a fork and spiral motif. Spirals, lobes and dots fill the crescent. Below the crescent, a double concentric line may represent the top of a Double Disc symbol. <2><3>
Pictish Standing Stone, Littleferry, Golspie. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG14210.
Ritchie, J N G, 1985, Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985, 14 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2712.
<1> Harden, G, 1987, 'Another part of a Pictish symbol stone from Little Ferry Links, Golspie, Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 116 1986, p.573-7, 573-7 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG184.
<2> Hanley, R G, 1994, A catalogue of the Class I Pictish symbol stones in the collections of Inverness Museum and Art Gallery, 8 (Collection/Catalogue). SHG2304.
<3> Inverness Museum, 2010, A Catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery (Text/Publication/Booklet). SHG25069.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Pictish Standing Stone, Littleferry, Golspie.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 14.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Harden, G. 1987. 'Another part of a Pictish symbol stone from Little Ferry Links, Golspie, Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 116 1986, p.573-7. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 573-7. 573-7.
- <2> Collection/Catalogue: Hanley, R G. 1994. A catalogue of the Class I Pictish symbol stones in the collections of Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. 8.
- <3> Text/Publication/Booklet: Inverness Museum. 2010. A Catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Paper (Copy).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8140 9660 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15344 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.