MHG11668 - Icehouse, Littleferry
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ICEHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1830 AD (between))
NH89NW 14 8057 9569.
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
The rear brick and timber ice chute (as pictured on the listed building documentation) is no longer extant. Appart from some slight damage to the double wooden doors, the remainder of the external walling appears to be in good condition. <1>
Large structure built under a mound, stone faced to N. Inside there is a pair of corbelled chambers with windows in higher parts. Used as a net store - photos <2>
Photographs of the interior were submitted to the HER by a participant on a Community Timeline Course, run by ARCH. <3>
- --- SHG364 Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- <1> SHG23635 Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 03/2004.
- <2> SHG23286 Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist. 13/10/2009.
- <3> SHG24858 Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. Shirley Sutherland.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8057 9568 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7019 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15333 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.